If you’re like most people, given the surge in popularity as of recent, you have more-than-likely heard of CBD or cannabidiol. Here locally, I know of at least 10 CBD dispensaries that have opened within the last year. But here's the thing, there is solid justification behind its recent rise to the top of the natural healthcare scene.
One of the first questions people often have regarding CBD is, is this marijuana? The simple answer is no, so let me explain this in a little more detail. There are over 100 different cannabinoids found in cannabis plants, but the 2 most widely talked about are CBD and THC. Think of the hemp plant and marijuana plant as cousins. Both are in the cannabis family, but the main difference is the level of THC present. The marijuana plant is high in THC, which account for the psychoactive component that makes a person feel “high.” The help plant on the other hand has a high CBD component and typically trace amount of THC. Therefore, users get the health benefit of the cannabis plants and cannabinoids, without the psychoactive side effects.
There are roughly 250 documented health benefits associated with cannabis and CBD. Even the World Health Organization lists several major diseases that CBD can potentially treat including epilepsy, Parkinson’s, neuropathy, Alzheimer’s, Huntington’s, Crohn’s disease, multiple sclerosis, anxiety, pain, nausea, psychosis, IBD, rheumatoid arthritis, inflammation, cardiovascular disease, and complications associated with diabetes. Can you say WOW?!?!?
So that being said, here’s a list of PRANA Top 5 Reasons why you SHOULD be taking CBD as a part of your steps for living a healthier life:
(1) It is great for stress- relief and fighting anxiety: Studies show that CBD can activate serotonin receptors in the brain. Serotonin is important in mood stabilization and regulation.
(2) It can help boost the immune system: The high level of Omega Fatty Acids found in CBD oil help protect us from illness-causing microbes. In addition, the Endocannabinoid System is a regulatory system in the body that helps improve the function of all other systems, including the immune system.
(3) CBD is a powerful natural anti-inflammatory product: CBD can help control the activation and mobilization of white blood cells which play a vital role in the inflammatory response. CBD is an all-natural alternative to NSAIDS such as ibuprofen.
(4) It can help with pain: Studies show that CBD helps to reduce our perception of pain much in the same way that acetaminophen-based products work. CBD has been shown to modulate both sensorial and affective (pain signals that travel from the body to the brain) dimensions of pain.
(5) CBD helps to regulate cardiovascular function: The leading cause of death in the United States remains cardiovascular disease, so it is super encouraging to see that CBD has a positive impact on heart health. By increasing adenosine receptor response in the brain, CBD helps regulate cardiovascular activity. Studies have also demonstrated CBD’s effectiveness in helping to protect the cardiovascular system after heart attacks and stroke.
If you have not tried CBD, now is the perfect time to do so! As we continue to battle the flu and cold season, taking natural steps to improving health just makes sense. To learn more about the amazing benefits of CBD, stop by PRANA and check out all the CBD based products that we have in stock. We have a wide-range including CBD tinctures, teas, coffee, pre-rolls, bath bombs, and more! We’d love to answer any questions that you have.
Dr. Christopher Weaver DC, PAK is a Doctor of Chiropractic and Professional Applied Kinesiologist. He's published two books on health and Wellness.