There are several varieties of the leafy vegetable chard, such as Swiss and Rainbow chard, and it’s among the healthiest food options available to us. Here a quick list of some of the health benefits that chard offers:
(1) Chard is high in micronutrients including vitamins E, K, Niacin, Folic Acid, and the minerals potassium, manganese, magnesium, iron, calcium and zinc.
(2) Chard is high in cancer-fighting antioxidants including lutein and quercetin. Lutein is extremely important in eye health and can drastically reduce the risk of Macular Degeneration (the leading cause of blindness in older adults).
(3) Being high in phytochemicals and cholorphyl, chard can help reduce the risk of cancer.
(4) Chard is a good source of fiber which is important for digestive health, cancer prevention, and weight management.
(5) Because of its high fiber content and the presence of syringic acid, chard can assist in regulation of blood sugar levels, which is important in prevention and management of Type-II Diabetes.
Dr. Christopher Weaver DC, PAK is a Doctor of Chiropractic and Professional Applied Kinesiologist. He's published two books on health and Wellness.